People often fail to understand that wisdom tooth extraction is a serious oral surgery and demands proper care. Here at West Airdrie Dental, we often come across patients asking questions related to the aftercare of wisdom tooth extraction. Are you one of them? If yes, then going through this blog will help you find out about what to do and what to not do once the surgery is over. Read on to learn more!
What to do after your Wisdom Tooth extraction?
- You should lift your head up. This lessens down the chances of swelling by a number of notches.
- You should apply ice to your face within the first 24 to 48 hours in order to reduce the pain and swelling.
- Bleeding can be a problem in the case of wisdom tooth extraction. This can be stopped by biting on a gauze. Once the bleeding ceases, there is no need to bite down on the gauge anymore.
- You are advised to consume soft or liquid food for the first few days after the extraction. As the days pass by and the wound starts to heal, shift to your normal diet.
- Try to perform various jaw exercises such as opening your mouth and closing your mouth.
- You should drink an adequate amount of fluid. But, choose to not use a fluid.
- Make sure to take the medication prescribed by your dentist. Missing a single dosage can turn out to be a reason for your nightmare.
- We all know that dental hygiene is a must to maintain oral health. Therefore, you can start to brush your teeth the day after the extraction. But, do avoid the area of wisdom tooth extraction.
- In case of any serious problem such as extreme swelling or tremendous pain, do not wait for a moment to get in touch with a dental professional.
What to avoid after your Wisdom Tooth extraction?
- Smoking is a strict “no” after the removal of wisdom teeth. You are also recommended to avoid the usage of straws and not suck or spit. Following this instruction will help you to prevent dislodging of the blood clot which in turn will eliminate the chances of extreme bleeding and pain.
- You should curb the intake of hard food items for at least a week. These include popcorns, pretzels, potato chips, etc.
- Do not wash your mouth in a very vigorous manner. It is recommended that you use salt water to rinse your mouth.
- You need to stop applying ice packs after a time span of 48 hours. On the other hand, you can switch to heat and apply it directly on your face on top of the wounds.
We hope that you have now gotten an idea about the dos and don’ts after successful tooth extraction. If you have any further questions, visit a dental clinic nearby. In-person communication with the dentist will also let you know information about wisdom teeth. If you are looking for the best tooth extraction treatment and dental care in or around Airdrie, AB, pick West Airdrie Dental. Our professionals are trained to execute the entire process in a seamless and painless way. They will also guide you through the process, right from the moment you step inside our clinic to the minute the operation is over. So why wait anymore? Stop suffering from wisdom tooth pain and contact us today.